Monday, August 15, 2011

I can't tell if this is annoying or awesome...

I was trying to copy and paste a line from an article on one of my favorite time-waster websites, cracked.com today when I noticed the clipboard had extra text added to it. Example:

If you hang around Internet message boards, about once a month or so somebody will announce they're fed up with America and want to move abroad. The reasons vary: they want to escape to Canada to get away from the corrupt corporations, or they fear a President Bachmann. Maybe they want to go to Japan and get a job as President of Anime.
My first reaction is "wow, that's annoying, I bet they have some sort of javascript on the backend that does that." So, with a little bit of searching, I discover that a lot of websites are starting to do this and they use a service called tynt to do so. Rather than using a third-party to insert the text, another person has found a way to do it in javascript. It's a clever little script that doesn't modify the clipboard contents, but rather the buffer of selected text as it gets copied to the clipboard.

Now if i just want to post a one-liner to someone from one of these websites, I have to manually sanitize it through notepad. Thanks, web 2.0!

No comments:

Post a Comment